Rameswaram is located in the southern part of Tamil Nadu, India. It is one of the holiest places in Hinduism and a popular destination for pilgrims. The place has some stunning temples and breathtaking views. It also has one of the biggest beach stretches in India, making it a great spot to visit if you’re looking for sun-soaked beaches or just want to explore this beautiful town.
Here are 20 of the best places to visit in Rameswaram:
1. Ramanathaswamy Temple – This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is one of the most important pilgrimage sites for Hindus from all over India. This temple features intricately carved sculptures and numerous shrines spread across the premises.
2. Agniteertham – This is a sacred spot on the beach near Ramanathaswamy Temple and it is believed that Lord Rama bathed here before leaving for Sri Lanka to rescue Sita. Pilgrims often take a dip in this holy water body as part of their pilgrimage experience.
3. Dhanushkodi Beach – Located at the tip of India, this white sand beach is worth visiting if you have time in your hands while touring Rameswaram. It has some breathtaking views and makes for great photographs too!
4. Gandhamadhana Parvatham – A small hillock with an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman, which is built on top of it.
5. Kothandaraswamy Temple – This temple is believed to have been visited by Lord Rama and Vibhishana, when they met during the Ramayana period.
6. Lakshman Theertham – A divine pond where Lord Lakshmana took a holy bath before leaving for Lanka in search of Sita. Devotees take bath here as part of their pilgrimage tour.
7. Five-Faced Hanuman Temple – As the name implies, this temple is dedicated to Lord Hanuman and has five faces sculpted on one idol. It is located very close to the Ramanathaswamy Temple and is a popular destination for pilgrims.
8. Sugreevar Temple – This temple is dedicated to Lord Sugreevar, the monkey-king and close companion of Lord Rama. It is located near the Ramanathaswamy Temple and makes for a great pilgrimage experience in this part of India.
9. Pamban Bridge – The second longest sea bridge in India connects Rameswaram with the mainland and offers some stunning views from atop it!
10. Villoondi Theertham – A pond where Lord Rama quenched his thirst after crossing the ocean to reach Lanka for rescuing Sita. It is believed that whosoever takes bath here will be blessed with good fortune by Lord Vishnu himself!
11. Uthirakosamangai – This is a very famous temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and located 18 kilometres from Rameswaram town.
12. Erwadi Beach – A stunning beach located close to the Ramanathaswamy Temple and definitely worth visiting while on your tour of this holy town!
13. Annai Indira Gandhi Bridge – Also known as the ‘Railway Bridge’, it spans across the Pamban channel and connects Rameswaram with mainland India for both rail and road traffic. It is an engineering marvel!
14. Sea World Aquarium – Located near Dhanushkodi beach, this aquarium provides some fascinating insights into the marine life of this part of India. It is a great spot for families to explore together!
15. Aricholpattu – This is one of the oldest temples dedicated to Lord Shiva in Rameswaram and has some stunning carvings on its walls.
16. Villoondi Theertham – A sacred pond where Lord Rama took bath with Sita before leaving for Lanka as per Hindu mythology. Devotees take a dip in this holy water body, believing it will bring them luck!
17. Adam Bridge – Also known as ‘Ram Setu’ or ‘Rama’s bridge’, this bridge between India and Sri Lanka was built by Lord Rama and his army of monkeys. It is believed to be one of the oldest man-made bridges in the world, making it a must-see destination!
18. Thirupullani – A temple dedicated to Lord Shiva which is located around 20 kilometres from Rameswaram town. It features some striking stone carvings that depict scenes from Hindu mythology, making it a great place to explore!
19. Vethaisurf – An ancient port which served as an important naval base during Lord Rama’s war against Ravana. It has some interesting ruins worth exploring if you have time on your hands!
20. Agastheeswarar Temple – This ancient temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and features some beautiful sculptures that have stood the test of time. It is located in the nearby town of Thiruppullani, making it an ideal destination for a day trip!
Rameswaram is home to many ancient temples and other attractions with deep historical and spiritual significance. These are some of the best places to visit in this holy town, giving you a truly unique experience! So, when you plan your next pilgrimage tour to Rameswaram, make sure to add these spots on your itinerary. Happy exploring!